Blessed Advent all. This is an exciting time of the Advent season. Today we start to see the glimmers of light promised to each of us in the coming of the Christ Child. Isaiah spoke very prophetically about the coming Messiah and signs that we are to look for. During each of these times we are have a chance to look back at these signs as we look forward to the Second Coming of our Lord and Savior.
Beginning today, December 17 and going all the way through the 23 the Church has given up some spectacular prayers. These are commonly known as the O Antiphons. Each Antiphon begins with a title for Jesus and refers back to one of the prophecies of Isaiah. Also if you are familiar with the hymn, “O Come O Come Emmanuel,” each of the O Antiphons are paraphrased through the whole song. *Hint Hint* That’s also why it has seven verses!
December 17 O Sapientia, O Wisdom
- O Wisdom, coming forth from the mouth of the Most High,
- reaching from one end to the other mightily,
- and sweetly ordering all things:
- Come and teach us the way of prudence.
Prophecies Fulfilled: Isaiah 11: 2 – 3 and Isaiah 28 : 29
December 18, O Adonai, Adonai meaning Lord or Ruler
- O Adonai, and leader of the House of Israel,
- who appeared to Moses in the fire of the burning bush
- and gave him the law on Sinai:
- Come and redeem us with an outstretched arm.
Prophecies Fulfilled: Isaiah 11 : 4-5 and Isaiah 33 : 22
December 19, O Radix Jesse, O Root of Jesse
- O Root of Jesse, standing as a sign among the peoples;
- before you kings will shut their mouths,
- to you the nations will make their prayer:
- Come and deliver us, and delay no longer.
Prophecies Fulfilled: Isaiah 11:1 and Isaiah 11:10
December 20, O Clavis David, O Key of David
- O Key of David and sceptre of the House of Israel;
- you open and no one can shut;
- you shut and no one can open:
- Come and lead the prisoners from the prison-house,
- those who dwell in darkness and the shadow of death.
Prophecies Fulfilled: Isaiah 22:22, Isaiah 9:7, Isaiah 42:7
December 21, O Oriens, O Rising Sun or O Morning Star
- O Morning Star,
- splendour of light eternal and sun of righteousness:
- Come and enlighten those who dwell in darkness and the shadow of death.
Prophecies Fulfilled: Isaiah 9:2
December 22, O Rex Gentium
- O King of the nations, and their desire,
- the cornerstone making both one:
- Come and save the human race,
- which you fashioned from clay.
Prophecies Fulfilled: Isaiah 9:6 and Isaiah 2:4
December 23, O Emmanuel, God is with us
- O Emmanuel, our king and our lawgiver,
- the hope of the nations and their Saviour:
- Come and save us, O Lord our God.
Prophecies Fulfilled: Isaiah 7:14
Then Christmas Eve and the celebration of Jesus’ birthday. Which we celebrate for 12 days. Who said Catholics can’t party? There ain’t no party like a Catholic Party because a Catholic Party don’t stop!
We are now in the final stages of the joyful anticipation we have been preparing for over the past 4 weeks. May we continue to be ever vigilant and continue to prepare a place for the Christ Child in our hearts and homes.
Blessed Advent all!
*Goes off humming O Come, O Come Emmanuel*